HomeOur History

Our History

The Agency has evolved over the past 75 years from a small team of
32 personnel working out of the basement of the White House
to a self-supporting Joint Service Command.



 
  • 1942

    White House
    Signal Detachment

    The White House Communications Agency (WHCA), originally known as the White House Signal Detachment (WHSD), was officially formed by the War Department on 25 March 1942 during the Roosevelt Administration.

  • Presidential
    Communications

    The detachment was activated under the Military District of Washington to provide normal and emergency communications requirements in support of the President of the United States. WHSD provided mobile radio, teletype, telephone, and cryptographic aids in the White House and at Shangri-La, now known as Camp David.

  • 1954

    White House
    Signal Agency

    In 1954, during the Eisenhower Administration, WHSD was reorganized under the Office of the Chief Signal Officer, Army Signal Corps as a Class II unit and renamed the White House Army Signal Agency (WHASA).

  • 1962

    White House
    Communications Agency

    In 1962 WHASA was discontinued by order of the Secretary of Defense under President John F. Kennedy, transferred to the auspices of the Defense Communications Agency under operational control of the White House Military Office, and reestablished as the White House Communications Agency.

  • We Were There

    WHCA played silent but significant roles in many historical events including the United Nations General Assembly, G20 Summit, and the Winter Olympics.

  • Voice
    Of The
    President